четверг, 2 августа 2012 г.

I’ve Heard This Song and Dance Before


This is a long slang phrase but it’s a good one.  
 It’s easy to understand, remember, and actually use!
If someone says, “I’ve heard this song and dance before” it means they are saying that they’ve heard a very similar excuse before. In life, you’ll often notice that many people make similar excuses over and over again.  If someone says, “This time is different.  I’m really going to quit smoking now” or “I’m finally going to start going to the gym everyday”, a friend listening to this might say, “I’ll believe it when I see it.  I’ve already heard this song and dance way too many times from you”.                                                  That doesn’t mean that they think you are lying, it just means that they won’t believe it until it actually happens.  It just seems like someone is making the same kind of promise that has failed over and over in the past.