понедельник, 14 января 2013 г.

Adjective pairs


Short and sweet? Loud and clear? Nice and warm? Get into the rhythm of the English language by learning 8 commonly-used adjective pairs to express your thoughts more clearly and powerfully.

Test your understanding of this English lesson


1. I'm sick and ________ of not making enough money! I'm going to change my career!
·        a) clear          b) tired           c) safe

2. Thank heavens the presentation was short and ________. It was so hot in the meeting room, I thought I was going to faint.
·        a)  loud         b)  hearty       c) sweet
3. When I saw your grandfather last, he was ________ and hearty. How is he now?
·        a)  hale          b)  sound       c) safe
4. Wow, it's so _________in the hotel room. I think I'll just stay here all evening. You can go out into the cold, if you like!
·         a)  nice and strong       b) nice and warm       c) nice and clear
5. I heard you __________ the first time. You don't have to repeat the whole message!
·        a)  safe and sound        b) short and sweet       c)loud and clear
6. They returned home safe and _______ after the blizzard, but we were really worried about them for a while.
·        a)  sound         b) hearty       c) sweet
7. Your kitchen is so _ ________, thanks to the oven, that I think I'll stay and help you bake those cookies. The rest of the house is too cold.
·        a)  nice and warm       b) hale and hearty       c) loud and clear
8. First and __________, I would like to explain why we scheduled this meeting.
·         a) most         b)  formost       c)  foremost
9. We were ____________ of eating the same food all week, but we didn't have anything else in the house. Besides, the roads were flooded after the monsoon.
·         a) hale and hearty       b) safe and sound       c) sick and tired
10. We have to leave the house ___________ in the morning, so get to bed soon!
·         a) safe and sound       b) first and foremost       c) bright and early    (http://www.engvid.com)