Sometimes, English learners confuse “challenge” and “try.” Let’s have a look at how to use these words.                                 Challenge is used as a verb and means to invite someone to engage in a competition. We usually use challenge + [person].
  • challenge you to a game of tennis.
  • Little Bobby challenged his friends to a bicycle race.
  • Romney challenged Obama in the last election.
A person can challenge another person, but not an object. If you want to talk about an object, use try:
  • I want to try the TOFEL exam this year. Not, “I want to challenge the TOEFL exam…”
  • Jack said he wants to try snowboarding. Not, “…wants to challenge snowboarding.”
Challenge is also used as noun, and in its noun form can be used to talk about objects:
  • The TOFEL exam is a challenge, but I think I can do well on it.
  • Jack faced many challenges working overseas.
So the main point is that you can challenge someone, or you can try to do something:
  • I’m going to try taking the TOEIC exam.
  • I want to challenge Jack to a round of golf.