четверг, 11 апреля 2013 г.

take off

The phrasal verb “take off” has 4 basic meanings or uses. Take off” Meaning # 1
This first meaning is a very common slang meaning and used a lot in spoken English.  It means to “leave” a party, a social gathering, your house etc.  You “take off” to go somewhere else or to go home.
Examples
1.  It’s getting late.  I think I’m going to take off soon.
2.  I’m going to take a quick shower and then take off.
3.  Our boss let me take off early today because there wasn’t really a lot of work to do.

“Take off” Meaning # 2

When an airplane actually starts flying, we say that’s when the plane “takes off”.  The moment it leaves the ground is the moment it “takes off”.
Examples
1.  What time do you take off?
2.  Our plane takes off in about 90 minutes.  I think we still have time get a quick coffee.
3.  I need to get to bed super early tonight.  My flight takes off at 6 tomorrow morning and I need to get to the airport by 4.

“Take off” Meaning # 3

To remove some or all of your clothes.
Examples
1.  I took off my sweater because it was too hot.
2.  Why don’t you take your shoes off?
3.  She took off all her clothes when she got crazy drunk last night.  Now she’s really embarrassed because all her friends saw her naked.

“Take off” Meaning # 4

To remove a physical object from a physical location.
Examples
1.  I don’t like this painting.  I’m going to take if off the wall and sell it.
2.  It’s hard to take the stickers off the fridge.  They look stupid on there and it’s driving me crazy!
3.  Make sure you really want that tattoo.  If you don’t like it in 5 years, it will be quite difficult and expensive to take it off.

Комментариев нет: