вторник, 7 мая 2013 г.

modal verbs



Kinds of modals
1) Epistemic modalsmay (He may be at home), might (It might get too hot),must (It must be your sister on the phone), ought to (They ought to have heard by now),
 should (The show should be over soon), will (That will be the doctor),would (Who would have guessed he was so young?).
2) Deontic modals: can(You can leave now), could (Could I go now please?), may (You may smoke),might (Might we have another one?), must (You must be patient), need (You needn't say anything), ought to (I ought to write more often), shall (You shall have my resignation letter tomorrow: a promise or a threat), should (You should write more legibly). (3) Dynamic modals: can (Neil can drive a car), could (He couldn't drive at that time), dare (I daren't tell/don't dare tell my parents), shall(We shall allow no obstacle to impede our programme), will (I will stay as long as I wish).