пятница, 28 июня 2013 г.

Using Can

Can you help me?
Can is a modal verb in English grammar, and has a few different meanings. Today, I am going to show you how we use can in both statements and questions.
Can is used to show ability. It comes before the main verb in a sentence.
  • can sing and dance!
  • Jack can speak three languages.
  • This factory can produce 1,000 jackets per day.
Can is used to ask about ability. It comes before the subject in a question.

  • Can you sing and dance!
  • Can Jack speak any foreign languages?
  • Can this factory produce a lot of jackets?
Can is used to show permission. It comes before the main verb in a sentence.
  • can leave work early today
  • Jack can take this old PC if he wants it.
Can is used to ask for permission. It comes before the subject in a question.
  • Can I leave work early today?
  • Can Jack take this old PC? He collects them!
Can us used in a question to make a request:
  • Can you help me?
  • Hey boss. Can Jack come to the meeting with me?
  • Can we have some more coffee, please?
Can us also used in a question to make an offer:
  • Can I help you with anything today?
  • Can I buy you a cup of coffee after work?
  • Can I take you to the movies sometime?

Комментариев нет: