вторник, 23 июля 2013 г.

Using "Wait"

I think most people don’t like waiting for things, but if you think about it, we wait all the time. We wait for trains, busses, meetings, and wait for people to do things for us. We wait hours for flights to arrive and concerts to begin. Maybe you have waited to see an English lesson that deals with the verb wait. Well, you don’t need to way any longer. Here it is!
There are four basic English grammar patterns when using wait. Today, let’s have a look and practice these.
We use wait for + [someone/something]

  • I was waiting for the train in the rain this morning.
  • Can you wait for me? I’ll be ready in five minutes.
  • Jack said he is still waiting for the package from his sister.
We also use wait for + [someone/something] + [to verb]
  • I was waiting for the train to arrive.
  • Can you wait for me to go out? I’ll be ready soon.
  • Jack is waiting for the package to be delivered.
We use wait + [time] without a preposition after wait.
  • waited ten minutes for the train.
  • Can you wait five minutes?
  • Jack waited all day, but the package didn’t arrive.
Lastly, we use wait + [to verb]
  • waited to hear the results of the exam.
  • You have to wait to eat the soup because it’s hot.
  • I’ve waited to buy a new watch because I am saving the money to buy it.
Have you waited to do something, or waited for something?

Комментариев нет: