вторник, 25 марта 2014 г.

Cloth, Clothes, & Wear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=465R0V5djDU
My friend Jenny is very fashionable. She always wears very nice clothes and looks stylish. She even looks great in casual wear. She could put on a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt and she would look great. When she shops, she always insists on clothes made from the finest cloth.
Egyptian cotton and Italian wool are her favorites. When she walks down Fifth Ave in NYC, everyone notices her and her beautiful clothes.
For today’s free English Lesson, we are going to look at some confusing vocabulary: cloth, clothes, wear, put on, & take off. Have a look at the paragraph above and then check the lesson:
Cloth is a countable noun. The plural form is cloths; 1 cloth, 2 cloths. Cloth has basically 2 meanings. The first is a small towel or rag. In your bathroom, you probably have a washcloth that is used for washing your face. A washcloth is generally a small, square towel. I have also heard the word face cloth, but think in American English the word washcloth is more commonly used.
  • Get a cloth and wipe the table please.
  • I always use a washcloth in the morning.
  • I have a special cloth to clean my eyeglasses.
The word cloth also means material. Cloth is the material or fabric which is used to make clothes:
  • His suit is made of fine cloth from Italy.
  • I love this cloth. I think I will use it for my school project.
  • Mood is a famous cloth store in NYC!
Clothes is an uncountable noun, it is not the plural form of clothClothes means the items worn on the body.
  • She always wears very nice clothes and looks stylish.
  • Sanae likes to buy clothes at Anthropology.
  • Our company CEO wears custom made clothes.
Wear is also an uncountable noun. However, as a noun, wear is only used with a modifier or descriptive word before it. As a noun, wear is never used alone. So for example, you can say, “You have nice clothes” but not, “You have nice wear:”
  • They sell formal wear and suites at that shop on Madison Ave.
  • Children’s wear is on the third floor of this department store.
  • I bought tennis wear and a racket, so I am ready to play!