среда, 12 марта 2014 г.

Simple Past vs. Present Perfect

I lost my wallet. I have looked everywhere for it, but I can’t find it. This is not the first time this has happened. I often lose things. I’ve lost keys, wallets, I even lost a new camera on a train! I don’t know why I’m so forgetful.

Today, I want to show you the difference between American English and British English when it comes to using the present perfect tense. Do you know the difference? Have a look at the paragraph one more time then check out this lesson.
Strictly speaking, we use the present perfect tense to talk about an action that happened in the past and has a connection to the present time. Take a look at this Happy English lesson for a deeper explanation of the present perfect tense As you know, present perfect tense is formed by using have + the PP Verb (past participle):
  • I’ve lost my wallet. I still do not know where my wallet is.
  • I’ve missed the bus, so I’m going to be late for the meeting.
In British English, only the present perfect tense is used in situations where an action that occurred in the recent past that has some effect on the present. In American English, however, it is more common to use the simple past in these cases. I believe this is because the focus of the sentence is on the action itself, not on the relationship between the action and the present time. Thus, these two sentences are acceptable in American English:
  • I lost my wallet.
  • I missed the bus, so I’m going to be late for the meeting.
In addition, we can use alreadyjust and yet with the simple past or present perfect in American English. In British English, only present perfect tense can be use with alreadyjust and yet:
  • just finished work (or) I’ve just finished work.
  • already ate, so I’m not hungry (or) I’ve already eaten, so I’m not hungry.
  • didn’t see that movie yet, so don’t tell me the ending (or) I haven’t seen that movie yet
The biggest difference between American and British English is in the vocabulary, but this is one of the grammatical differences between the two.
We celebrated my sister’s birthday on Sunday. I gave her the same present I have given her for the past 7 or 8 years – a trip to the circus. I think a trip to the circus makes a great present, despite the fact that we are both not kids anymore. Last week was also my youngest student’s graduation from his Happy English lessons. I presented him with a special Certificate of Achievement, with his name written right in the middle. He was so happy!
Today, I’m going to show you the two verbs, present and give, and the noun present. Be sure to check the audio file above, so that you can understand the difference in pronunciation between the nounpresent (stress on the first syllable) and the verb present (stress on the second syllable).
First of all, let’s look at the noun, presentPresent means gift and is something that you give someone on a happy occasion, like a birthday present or a Christmas present:
  • I gave my sister a fun present!
  • Jack got many nice Christmas presents.
Give is the verb we generally use with the noun, present in everyday English:
  • gave her a nice present.
  • We gave Tom two presents for Christmas.
  • My mom always gives nice presents to us.
Present is the verb that we use in formal situations to talk about giving something formally, like in a ceremony:
  • The school principal presented each student with a diploma at the graduation ceremony.
  • Tom Hanks has been presented with several Academy Awards.
  • The baseball hero was presented with a special award for his performance.
So present is the formal way of saying give. It would be strange in English to say, for example, “I willpresent her something for her birthday.” “I will give her something for her birthday” is more natural.

Комментариев нет: