суббота, 20 сентября 2014 г.

6 ways to use "get"


Get has a number of different meanings and uses in English. For today’s English lesson, let’s have a look at how get is used in English conversation and writing

Here are the example sentences:
We use get to mean buy something:
• I got a new jacket.
• I want to get a new iPhone.
• Jack got lunch at the deli.
We use get to mean receive something:
• I got a hat for my birthday.
• I got several emails this morning.
• Jack got a phone call from his boss on Sunday.
We also use get to mean obtain/achieve:
• Jack got a new job at the bank.
• I got the chance to meet the actor after the performance.
• I need to get more sleep. I’ve been feeling tired recently
Get also has the meaning of become:
• It gets dark earlier and earlier in the fall.
• As we age, we get older and wiser.
• A baby elephant gets big very quickly.
We also use get to mean arrive:

• We can take an early flight and get to Boston by noon.
• We got to the theater late and missed the movie.
• I usually get home at 8pm.
Get also has the meaning of go somewhere to pick up or fetch something and come right back:
• I was watching  TV and got a drink during the commercial.
• Jack gets the kids from school at 3:30pm.
• Can you get that book from the shelf in the living room for me?