пятница, 5 декабря 2014 г.

Collocations with «make»


http://www.myhappyenglish.com/?powerpress_pinw=9526-podcast
Make is an interesting verb in English because it collocates with a number of different words. For today’s English lesson, let’s look at how to use these phrases with make in English conversation and writing.
She’s not interested in his excuses…

How to use make noise:
·         The kids always make noise when they play in the backyard.
·         My dog happy makes noise when she’s hungry.
·         My car was making a strange noise this morning I need to have it checked.

How to use make an excuse:
·         She made an excuse about why she didn’t give me her homework.
·         Bob always makes excuses when he comes late to work.
·         Don’t try to make an excuse. I know you just forgot to call me!

How to use make the bed:
·         I always make the bed after getting up in the morning.
·         The staff at the hotel usually makes the bed in the morning.
·         If you don’t make your bed your room will look messy.

How to use make an effort:
·         I want to thank you for making an effort to fix my computer.
·         Sales are increasing because the marketing team is really making an effort.
·         The printing company made an effort to get the job done earlier.

How to use make progress:
·         Jack made a lot of progress painting his house. He’s almost finished.
·         I could make a lot more progress if the phone didn’t ring all day and interrupt me.
·         Are you making progress with your project?