суббота, 2 мая 2015 г.

I woke up this morning...

You're on vacation at a rental house in the country. It was really relaxing this morning when you woke up. You write about it on Facebook to your friends.
I woke up this morning to the smell of coffee and the sound of birds chirping.

Use the phrase "wake up to ___" to talk about something that's happening when a person wakes up. For example:
I woke up to a loud banging noise this morning.
I usually wake up to an alarm, but lately I've been getting up earlier.

Talk about an odor (a smell) with this phrase:
I remember the smell of burgers grilling as I drove up.
Sometimes we use this phrase to talk about "the smell of" an emotion like fear, desperation, etc.:
The smell of fear was in the air.
"The smell of ___" acts as a noun.

"Chirp" is the sound that a bird makes. When parents teach their children animal sounds, they usually teach "Chirp!" as the sound that a bird makes:
A: What does the birdie say?
B: Chirp! Chirp!
Adults also use "chirp" to talk about bird sounds. Sometimes we use the form "chirping":
Do you hear that chirping? What kind of bird is that?
Some insects, like crickets, also "chirp":

The crickets are chirping pretty loudly tonight.