вторник, 10 ноября 2015 г.

Idioms & Quiz

















English Idioms: Quiz
There are 15 questions to complete.
Question 1
My best friend dated my brother for five years. They just split up two weeks ago - it was a bad breakup, and now I'm walking on eggshell saround both of them.
"Walking on eggshells" means:
A
being very cautious so as not to upset or offend someone
B
helping two people resolve a conflict
C
trying to make depressed people feel better

Question 2
My cousin gave me a free plane ticket to Hawaii, and my boss gave me two weeks off to travel. I just found out my favorite band is doing a show in Hawaii at the same time I'll be there - that's just the icing on the cake!
If something is "the icing on the cake," it is...
A
a perfect opportunity to have fun
B
an unexpected coincidence
C
an additional benefit to something that is already good


Question 3
The Yankees are the best baseball team of all time. The proof is in the pudding - they've won more championships than any sports franchise in history.
"The proof is in the pudding" means...
A
it is impossible to lose
B
they have a big advantage
C
you can be sure that something is true if it is tested

Question 4
I'm currently taking 6 college courses in addition to working full-time. That means I'm busy every day from 6 AM to 11 PM, and I'm getting behind on my schoolwork. I think I bit off more than I could chew this semester.
"I bit off more than I could chew" means...
A
I eat too much and don't exercise enough
B
I took on more responsibilities than I can handle
C
I don't have a good social life

Question 5
Changing a country's trajectory takes time - the economic policies enacted three years ago are just now beginning to bear fruit. To "bear fruit" means...
A
become popular
B
finish
C
produce successful results

Question 6
When the salesman starts talking about how buying an expensive new car will make your life really great, you should take it with a grain of salt.
"Take it with a grain of salt" means...
A
bargain for a better price
B
not believe it to be completely true or correct
C
agree enthusiastically


Question 7
I don't trust that newspaper. Their reporting isn't very balanced; they tend to cherry-pick the information in favor of one particular political party.
To "cherry-pick" means...
A
to choose only specific items (the best parts) and ignore the rest
B
have a positive attitude
C
write about very recent events without considering the history

Question 8
My friends went to the art museum, but I decided to come to the beach instead. Contemplating paintings for hours is not really my cup of tea.
If something is "not your cup of tea,"...
A
it makes your stomach hurt
B
you've never done it before
C
you don't like it very much


Question 9
I was sick and couldn't go to the party. Don't rub salt in the wound by telling me how great it was.
To "rub salt in the wound" means...
A
to talk too much about one topic
B
to make a sad person feel even worse
C
to help a sick person feel better

Question 10
My 3-year-old daughter already knows how to use the computer. She's one sharp cookie!
Describing someone as a "sharp cookie" means the person is...
A
enthusiastic
B
intelligent
C
very young


Question 11
Did you hear about the grandmother who chased a robber out of her house with a kitchen knife? What a tough cookie!
Describing someone as a "tough cookie" means the person is...
A
courageous and strong
B
aggressive and violent
C
Crazy

Question 12
That math test was a piece of cake. I didn't even study and I bet I got every question right.
If something is "a piece of cake," it means...
A
it's very easy
B
it's enjoyable
C
it's delicious


Question 13
Diana kept pressuring Bill to tell her how much he paid for the engagement ring, but he refused to spill the beans.
To "spill the beans" means...
A
to buy something
B
to reveal secret information
C
to help someone understand
Question 14
Our company needs to pay back a loan from the bank, but business has been slow. If we don't get more customers by the end of the year, we'll really be in a pickle.
Being "in a pickle" means...
A
being in a difficult situation
B
earning no money
C
not having a good future


Question 15
That book was written 50 years ago, but it's still very applicable today. You should read it - it definitely provides some food for thought.
"Food for thought" is...
A
historical data
B
information worth considering
C
strong evidence


Practice Quiz

Question 1 
I bought my mother-in-law an expensive box of chocolates for her birthday, but I just found out she's on a diet. All the stores are closed and her birthday is tomorrow. I'm really _______.
A cherry-picking     
B in a pickle    
C a sharp cookie

Question 2 
The first time I met my boyfriend's parents, I __________ because I knew their political views were very different from mine.

A bit off more than I could chew     
B took it with a grain of salt             
C was walking on eggshells

Question 3 
Don't worry - you'll learn how to use this computer program in no time. It's __________.  

A a piece of cake             
B bearing fruit             
C proof is in the pudding

Question 4 
I started college studying psychology, but then I discovered it _________ - so I switched to biology.

A was food for thought            
B rubbed salt in the wound            
C wasn't my cup of tea

Question 5 
My project was extremely successful - and getting interviewed on TV about it was _______.

A in a pickle              
B my cup of tea              
C the icing on the cake

Question 6 
How did the media find out about our company's secret new product?! One of our employees must have ________.

A cherry-picked        
B spilled the beans       
C walked on eggshells

 Question 7 
I didn't think I would enjoy the poetry reading, but I'm glad I went. It gave me a lot of ____________.
A food for thought
B pieces of cake
C grains of salt  

Question 8 
You can't just ___________ the statistics that are in line with your viewpoint. There are a lot of studies that support the opposite view.

A cherry-pick
B spill the beans
C take it with a grain of salt

Question 9 
My efforts to eat healthier food are finally ___________ - I lost eight pounds this month.

A bearing fruit
B icing on the cake
C a tough cookie

Question 10 
I shouldn't have volunteered to help organize the company's Christmas party on top of all my other work. It's a big ordeal and I feel like _____________.

A I'm walking on eggshells
B I've bitten off more than I can chew

C I've spilled the beans