понедельник, 25 апреля 2016 г.

Reporting Verbs in English

Common Reporting Verbs
say + (that)
Using the word “that” is optional after “say”:
  Bob said he was happy.
  Bob said that he was happy.
Avoid this common error: Bob said me that he was happy.
tell + someone + (that)
After the word “tell,” we must always have a person:
§  Jane told me she had worked late.
§  Jane told me that she had worked late.
tell + someone + (not) + to
We use “tell someone to” for giving an order/command:
§  My mom told me to clean my room.
§  My dad told me not to play with fire.
ask + someone + if/whether
ask + someone + question word
We use “ask someone if/whether” for yes/no questions:
§  They asked the teacher if there was any homework.
§  They asked the teacher whether there was any homework.
For all other questions, use this structure:
§  He asked me what time it was.
§  She asked us how to get to the train station.
§  They asked the police officer why the road was closed.
Avoid this common error: They asked to the police officer… 
ask + someone + (not) + to
We use “ask someone to” for requesting action from the other person:
§  She asked me to close the door.
§  She asked me not to leave the door open.
Reporting Verbs for Advice
recommend + ING / recommend + that
§  recommend staying in this hotel.
§  recommend that you stay in this hotel.
suggest + ING / suggest + that
§  He suggested taking an early train.
§  He suggested that I take an early train.
Avoid this common error: He suggested me to take an early train.
warn + someone + about
warn + someone + not + to
We “warn” people about potentially dangerous things:
§  They warned us about the high prices in San Francisco.
§  They warned us not to move to San Francisco.
advise + someone + (not) + to
We use the verb “advise” for giving advice. “Advise” is pronounced with a Z sound, and “advice” is pronouned with an S sound.
§  She advised me to start the assignment early.
§  She advised me not to wait until the last minute.
encourage + someone + to
We usually use the word “encourage” for suggesting positive things.
§  My parents encouraged me to take swimming lessons.
Reporting Verbs for Arguments & Strong Feelings
admit + that
If you “admit” something, it means you acknowledge a mistake or an unpleasant fact.
§  He admitted that he’d stolen the money.
argue + that / argue + about
The word “argue” can mean to try to persuade other people that your opinion is correct – as in the first example – or it can mean to have an angry verbal conflict – as in the second example.
§  The lawyer argued that his client didn’t know he was breaking the law.
§  My parents are arguing about where to spend our family vacation.
agree + that
§  The boss agreed that we should invest more in employee training.
Avoid this common error: I’m agree. The correct sentence is “I agree” (more common) or “I’m in agreement” (more formal).
claim + (that)
We use the verb “claim” to describe things we state are true… but other people might doubt that we are telling the truth.
§  She claimed that she’d locked the door.
§  She claimed she’d locked the door.
complain + that / complain + about
The verb “complain” means to say something negative because you are annoyed/disappointed about it.
§  We complained that the hotel room was too hot.
§  We complained about the temperature in the hotel room.
deny + that
If you “deny” something, it means you say it is NOT true.
§  He denied that he was responsible.
insist + that / insist + on
The verb “insist” means to strongly say something is true, or strongly say you will do something, despite other people trying to contradict you.
§  insisted that I was innocent.
§  She insisted on paying for my drink.
swear + that / swear + to
The verb “swear” means to say something with extremely strong certainty.
§  He swore that he’d left his wallet on the table.
§  He swore to get revenge.
threaten + to
The verb “threaten” means to say you will do something bad to another person.
§  The manager threatened to fire me.
Reporting verbs for statements:
explain + that
explain + noun + to someone
explain + question word
§  The receptionist explained that the doctor was out to lunch.
§  Can you explain this math problem to me?
§  He explained how he’d built his own house.
Avoid this common error: She explained me… / I explained him… – we never have a person immediately after the verb “explain.”
state + that
§  The politician stated that he was in favor of immigration.
reply + that
§  When I asked her about the project, she replied that she didn’t know anything.
Avoid this common error: She replied me that… – we never have a person immediately after the verb “reply”
mention + that
The verb “mention” means to say something quickly, or to say something that is not so important to the main topic.
§  He mentioned that he’d put gas in the car.
announce + that
§  The teacher announced that everyone had passed the test.
Reporting verbs for giving orders:
command + someone + to
§  The officer commanded the soldier to clean the room.
demand + that
demand + noun
§  My sister demanded that I give her an answer.
§  My sister demanded an answer.
forbid + someone + to
The verb “forbid” means to prohibit someone from doing something.
§  We forbade our kids to use the computer without supervision.
Other reporting verbs:
boast + that
The verb “boast” means to arrogantly say good things about yourself or your accomplishments.
§  He boasted that he always got the best grades in the class.
propose + that
The verb “propose” can be used for making suggestions. It is a little more formal.
§  She proposed that we take a ten-minute break.
reveal + that
When we “reveal” something, we say something that was previously a secret, or information that is sensitive or not very well-known.
§  In the interview, he revealed that he struggled with self-esteem.
guarantee + that
If you “guarantee” that something is the case, it means you promise that it is true.
§  We guarantee that our products are made from high-quality materials.
promise + (that) / promise + to
§  You promised that you’d help me.
§  You promised you’d help me.
§  You promised to help me.
beg + someone + to/for
§  I’m begging you to reconsider.
§  I’m begging you for another chance.
remind + someone + to/that
§  She reminded me to go to the bank.
§  She reminded me that the bank is closed on Sundays.