четверг, 22 сентября 2016 г.

Remember аnd Forget

These two verbs have different meanings depending on whether they are followed by a GERUND or an INFINITIVE. Even very advanced English learners sometimes make mistakes with these verbs! Take a look at these examples with the verb FORGET: 1. I forgot posting the birthday card to my mother so I was surprised when she called me to say thank you.

2. I forgot to post the birthday card to my mother so I apologised on the telephone when I called to wish her Happy Birthday.
In sentence 1, with FORGOT + GERUND, the actions happened in this order: First, I posted the birthday card but then second, I forgot that I had done it. So my mother received the card because I had posted it.
In sentence 2, with FORGOT + INFINITIVE the actions happened in this order: First, I forgot and second, I did not post the birthday card. So mother did not receive it on her birthday. 
The verb REMEMBER has the same grammar, as you can see here:
3. I remember telling him about the meeting, so I am surprised that he did not attend.
4. I’m glad I remembered to tell him about the meeting because it was important for him to attend.
In sentence 3, with REMEMBER + GERUND, it happened in this order: First, I told him about the meeting and then second, I remembered that I had done it.
In sentence 4, with REMEMBER + INFINITIVE, the order was as follows: 
First I remembered and second, I told him about the meeting. 
So this is the grammar rule:
REMEMBER/FORGET + GERUND means THE GERUND ACTION HAPPENS FIRST.

REMEMBER/FORGET + INFINITIVE means THE INFINTIVE ACTION HAPPENS SECOND.
QUIZ on how to use REMEMBER and FORGET with GERUND or INFINITIVE forms:
Choose the correct answer:
 
1. I forgot _______ the window so that's how the cat got into the house.
 a)  close     b) closing      c) to close

2. Did you remember _______ any milk when you were at the shops earlier?
a) buy     b) to buy     c) buying

3. I'll never forget _______ that city. It was so beautiful.
a) visit     b) to visit     b) visiting

4. It's very important not to forget _______ the lights when you leave the building.
a) to turn off     b) turning off     c) turn off

5. It was a dark night. I remember 1. _______ at the sky and there was no moon. Unfortunately, I did not remember 2. _______ my torch so I couldn't see the road in front of me..
a) 1. to look, 1. looking     b) 2. to use, 2. Using

6. He never remembers 1. _______ his mother a birthday card. It has been so long since he did it that she can't remember ever 2._______ one from him.
a) 1. sending,  2. to receive     b) 1. to send, 2. Receiving

7. I thought I had lost the letter but instead I must have forgotten _______ it , because she received it today. 
a) to post     b) post     c) posting

8. I often forget 1.  _______ people something and then they say I am repeating myself, as they have heard it before. I usually remember 2. _______ that I am repeating myself though!
1. telling     1. to tell     2. to be told     2. being told

9. Oh no! I forgot _______ my phone so now the battery has run out.
a) charge     b) charging     c) to charge

10. I remember 1. _______ him but I forgot 2. _______ his name. So could you please introduce us again?
2. to ask   1. to meet   1. Meeting   2. asking
www.dailystep.com