вторник, 19 сентября 2017 г.

Don't Devoice Voiced Consonants

A friend of mine was translating from English into Russian in front of a small crowd. The American was talking about the "ice" [ais], that she'd walked outside and slipped on the "ice." My friend had thought the lady had somehow slipped on her eyes [aiz], but couldn't really figure it out.
So she came up with an interesting story, right on the spot.
          You really do need a story for that, otherwise how do you slip on your eyes?
          I remember sitting in the audience thinking how small things like that matter (I wanted to do a mini-instagram lesson, but that was before the Instagram - LOL).
          My suspicion was that my friend had never had much decent accent training at her College (not her fault by the way), so she didn't pay attention to the details because she didn't know. She couldn't hear the difference between "ice" and "eyes," and was forced to come up with a "cover story."
          In Russian one can devoice voiced consonants at the end of the words, that's why Russian speakers can say "bet" and "bed" in English and think that the two are the same. But they're not.
This is what 
this podcast is about.
I hope you enjoy it and if you do -- please like it, share it and send me a comment or two.