четверг, 27 сентября 2018 г.

Words Of A High School Principal

A high-school principal may not be a very glamorous profession, but this woman recognized it as a chance to influence the young minds of the next generation and to maybe inspire change early on instead of trying to amend things after they’ve happened. Here’s her story:

By definition, I am a high school principal. I do all of the daily administrative tasks that you would assume a principal does. But to me, it’s so much more. My name is Kendra Carr, and I’m the high school principal of Holy Names High School, an all girls Catholic school in Oakland, California.
           I initially pursued a career in law, thinking that that’s how I would make the most impact on the world. But after an internship, working with young people at a high school in South Africa, I realized that education is where I could make the most change.
           As a school community committed to service, justice, developing the next generation of leaders, we are really intentional about creating a space here on campus where students come in and discover who they are. When a freshman comes, she uses words that are very different than what a senior uses upon graduation. When a freshman enters, she is timid, she is unsure of herself, she’s trying to find her place. When a senior talks about herself, she really has become comfortable in her skin. She uses words like impact and purpose and passion. When I hear words like I can’t or that’s impossible, or it’s too hard, or that’s not me, I remind them that anything is possible. That’s why we’re here.
           Our school motto is Noblesse Oblige. It’s Latin and means “to whom much is given, much is required.” That’s a motto I really try to live by and instill in the minds of these young women.
           But, they’ve also taught me things too. I’ve learned terms like dabbae is a big one, my bae, you know, my bestie. Oh, tried it, tried it, we all know what tried it means. But it’s when someone is basically posturing and trying to be someone who they’re not, and you have to call them out. Say, “You tried it.”
           They’ve taught me blim. It’s something on social media where someone disses another person. Blim is short for subliminal messages, which is a comment directed at someone that doesn’t specifically name them. You know what? I have to blims in disciplinary conversations because cyberbullying unfortunately is a reality that we deal with now. It’s a precise way to identify to a student what it is that she’s done to disrespect her sister.
           Education has the power to truly change a young person’s trajectory because young people have a vision. They believe in peace. They believe in justice. They believe in inclusivity. We can have the most impact on the future by supporting the visions of young people. My words matter because as a high-school principal I am an agent of change.