пятница, 15 февраля 2019 г.

Gerunds Or Infinitives


Fill in the blanks.
1. Moles have the habit …………………………. in the earth.
to burrow;       of  burrowing;      Either could be used here
2. Working on the farm habituated him ………………………… early.
to rise;      to rising;       Either could be used here

3. They were accused ……………………………… him bodily harm.
to do;       of doing;       to doing
4. What is the harm ………………………………. a little fun?
to have;       in having;       for having
5. The old man’s hatred ………………………… has made him a recluse.
for people;       of people;       with people
6. He humbugged me ………………………………. his story.
into believe;       into believing;       to believe
7. Alaskans are accustomed ………………………… in cold weather.
to live;       to living;       for living
8. My teacher dissuaded me ……………………….. accepting the job.
to accept;       from accept;       from accepting
9. I hate to disillusion you but your chances ……………………….. are nil.
to win;       of win;       of winning
10. I forbid you …………………………………. out after midnight.
to stay;       from staying;       Either could be used here
11. She does a lot of work for the poor but her modesty forbids her ……………………………….. talking about it.
To;          from
12. I was forbidden ………………………………. to her.
to talk;          from talking;          Either could be used here




Answers
1. Moles have the habit of burrowing in the earth.
2. Working on the farm habituated him to rising early.
3. They were accused of doing him bodily harm.
4. What is the harm in having a little fun?
5. The old man’s hatred of people has made him a recluse.
6. He humbugged me into believing his story.
7. Alaskans are accustomed to living in cold weather.
8. My teacher dissuaded me from accepting the job.
9. I hate to disillusion you but your chances of winning are nil.
10. I forbid you to stay / from staying out after midnight.
11. She does a lot of work for the poor but her modesty forbids her from talking about it.
12. I was forbidden to talk / from talking to her.