понедельник, 25 марта 2019 г.

how to be assertive in English



Being assertive is all about saying clearly what you want, need or feel. It’s important to know how to be assertive in your own language, but also in English!

Being assertive (1)

  • I’m afraid I can’t go to the pub.
  • I’d rather not go to that restaurant.
  • I don’t feel like going out tonight.
  • I’d prefer not to have another drink.

Being assertive (2)

  • Thanks, but I’d rather not go by car.
  • I don’t want to be associated with them.
  • I’m not prepared to support that idea.
  • I can’t make that a priority right now.

Being insistent

  • I demand a refund
  • I insist that you get the manager.
  • I know you’d like me to go, but I can’t.
  • I’m sorry but 2pm won’t work for me.
  • This is more than I excpeted to pay.

Saying no

  • Thanks, but no thanks.
  • Thanks, but I’m not interested.
  • I’m sorry but the answer is no.
  • No, I can’t do any overtime at the moment.
  • I’m afraid I can’t do attend the meeting tomorrow.

The broken record

This is a technique that involves repeating something over and over again. For example:
A: Do you want the blue one?
B: No, I want the red one.
A: The blue one’s much better.
B: Well, I want the red one.

You’re going to listen to a conversation in English. Gary and his cousin Keira are in the pub. Listen once and answer these questions.

  1. What does Keira want to drink?
  2. Why doesn’t Keira want to go to the party?
  3. When did Gary promise to pay back the money?
  4. How much does he give Keira in the end?

Here are the answers:

  1. What does Keira want to drink?
Keira wants to have an orange juice.
  1. Why doesn’t Keira want to go to the party?
She doesn’t want to go to the party because she has to study for an exam.
  1. When did Gary promise to pay back the money?
Gary promised to pay back the money this week.
  1. How much does he give Keira in the end?
He gives Keira the £40 he owes her in the end.