среда, 8 мая 2019 г.

“Actually, can I get plastic instead?”

English Lesson: Actually, can I get plastic instead?
You're checking out a supermarket. The cashier starts putting your groceries in a paper bag. You'd rather have your groceries in a plastic bag instead. You quickly say this.
Actually, can I get plastic instead?

Actually, (sentence)

Use this to tell people something that's unexpected or different from what they are expecting to hear:
"Actually," is really useful for correcting people. For example, if you're putting a puzzle together with someone and they put a piece in the wrong place, say:
Actually, the blue piece goes over here.

a plastic bag

Most grocery stores in the U.S. offer you a choice between paper bags and plastic bags. Cashiers will often ask the customer:
Paper or plastic?
When you're in the checkout line at a grocery store, "paper" and "plastic" usually refer to paper and plastic bags.

can I get (something)

This is one good way to ask for something from a cashier, waiter, hotel clerk, flight attendant, etc.:
Can I get a glass of water?
Can I get an extra pillow?