четверг, 25 июля 2019 г.

Using BURN


PODCAST-ENGLISH-509-USING-BURN

Here’s a new podcast English lesson!
Hey guys it’s Michael here from happy English. I hope you guys are having a good summer so far, I know I have. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a new guitar.
It’s the first new guitar that I’ve had in almost 30 years. I really loved playing it and it’s got a great sound. And it’s good timing too because I’ve started working on a new side project of making music. Yeah, In case you guys didn’t know I’m also musician. I’ll tell you more about that new side project in the next episode. I can’t let the cat out of the bag completely just yet. 
For today’s English lesson we’re going to take a look at the word burn. Burn is an interesting word in English because it can be used as a verb and a noun, and we also use it burn in a number of idioms and phrasal verbs. Are you ready? Let’s check it out!
Here are the example sentences. To get the details of this English lesson, you need to listen to the podcast or check the transcript for the details.
  • The charcoal was burning in the barbecue.
  • Jane said that she likes to burn scented candles.
  • The old barn at the end of the street burned down last week.
  • My old car burns a lot of gasoline.
  • In the old days a lot of factories used to burn coal for energy.
  • You can burn a lot of calories by jogging.
  • I burned the toast because I wasn’t paying attention to the toaster.
  • The pizza was burned to a crisp because the temperature of the oven was too high.
  • I don’t drink whiskey because it burns my throat.
  • My eyes were burning from cutting those onions.
  • Jenny is burning with desire to become the next office manager.
  • It seems like my cat was burning with curiosity when she jumped on the roof.
  • That machine can burn 10 CDs per hour.
  • We burned several copies of the presentation to hand out at the meeting.
  • When I was a college student I always burnred the candle at both ends.
  • Last week we were burning the candle at both ends to finish our project.
  • Jake is a scientist and he is often burning the midnight oil.
  • A lot of college students burn the midnight oil before exams.
  • The boss really burns me up. First, he said we could have off on Friday and then he changed his mind.
  • The trains in this town are always delayed. It really burns me up.
  • I’m a little burned out on pizza because I have had it for lunch every day this week.
  • Bob has been working for the same computer company for 30 years so he is burned out on doing that.
  • I’m a little burned out because I’ve been working for four months straight without a day off.
  • Tommy quit working for his company because he got burned out.
  • There was an article recently that said many office workers these days suffer from burnout.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this English language point, why not help them out! Just share this lesson with them. Thanks for studying today!