пятница, 20 сентября 2019 г.

6 past tense irregular verbs


Do you know how to pronounce these 6 verbs? We’re going to look at 6 past tense verbs that are difficult to pronounce. But by the end of this lesson, you’ll know how pronounce them perfectly! Here are the 6 past tense irregular verbs we’re going to look at: bought, brought, fought, thought, caught, taught.
All of our seven verbs end in -ought or -aught. Both of these endings are pronounced
/ ɔːt / Repeat after me: / ɔːt /
Now, repeat each word after me so you can say them individually: bought, brought, fought, thought, caught, taught.
Now, let’s look at these verbs in sentences. Remember, if the final consonant sound of these verbs is followed by a vowel sound, the two sounds are connected. For example:
A: Have you got the report?
B: Yes, I brought it to the office yesterday.
In this case, the final / t / sound of brought merges with the vowel sound / i / from the word it. So, it sounds like this: brough tit / brough tit / brough tit

Now, repeat after me:

1. I bought a new one. [from the verb to buy]
2. I brought it to the office. [from the verb to bring]
3. The cats fought over the food. [from the verb to fight]

4. I thought it was the other one. [from the verb to think]
5. I caught a fish in the river. [from the verb to catch]
6. She taught me how to do it. [from the verb to teach]
Now, we’re going to do a drill to help you practise saying these verbs. Listen to the words, then make a sentence with the Past Simple.
For example: I / buy / new / car = I bought a new car.
Ready? OK, let’s go!
1. he / catch / cold / last week = He caught a cold last week.
2. she / buy / new / tennis racket = She bought a new tennis racket.
3. she / teach / me / French = She taught me French.
4. they / fight over / money = They fought over the money.







5. they / bring / books / home = They brought the books home.
6. I / think / it / be / Pete = I thought it was Pete.




Well done!
Now you know how to pronounce these 6 past tense verbs: bought, brought, fought, thought, caught, taught.