воскресенье, 5 января 2020 г.

Informal Phone Calls


Cartoon guy with graduation hatHi there! Andy here. It’s on informal phone calls, and you’ll learn lots of useful language from it. Ready? OK, let’s go!

How to make an informal phone call!
We often need to make informal phone calls so we can talk to friends or work colleagues. But speaking on the phone in another language is never easy as you can’t see the other person’s face or gestures. There are also set words and expressions that you need to learn to use on the phone. But don’t worry! In this lesson, we’ll teach you how to make an informal phone call easily and effortlessly.Learn how to make an informal phone call in English in 10 minutes! By the end of this video, you’ll know how to…● Answer the phone and introduce yourself● Catch up on the latest news● Explain why you’re calling● Give and take a message● Confirm information● End the callThis will increase your speaking fluency, make you more confident in social situations, and increase your range of vocabulary.Before doing anything, we recommend you start by looking over the Useful Language for this lesson. This will help you understand the video, and help you learn it more quickly!Now watch the video and read the script at the same time to improve your listening skills.Finally, try the quiz to see how much you’ve learnt from this lesson!

Why you should learn this language!
Objectives
As part of this lesson, you’ll analyse clips from a video and answer questions about the video. Then, you’ll read over the video script as you watch the video. Finally, there’s a quiz to test your knowledge!
Useful language
Video script:
How to make an informal phone call!
Tom: Hello, Tom speaking.
Rachel: Hi, Tom, Tom?
Tom: Hi!
Rachel: Amanda’s twin brother?
Tom: Yep!
Rachel: Hi, it’s Rachel, remember from school.
Tom: Rachel? Ah, yeah, yeah, I haven’t seen you in ages.
Rachel: Yeah, how’s it going?
Tom: It’s going very well. Erm, yeah, I’ve just been working really hard, and, er, my job’s going great and...
Rachel: Where are you working now?
Tom: Oh, it’s just at a new school. I’m just, erm, helping out with some of the younger children and some of the sports activities.
Rachel: Fantastic! Wow! It’s been ages.
Tom: Oh, and you? How have you been?
Rachel: Yeah, not too bad. I’m actually ringing, I’m after Amanda actually. I’m supposed to talk to her about a concert we’re going to next week. Is she there?
Tom: No, she’s not in at the moment, I’m afraid.
Rachel: Rubbish!
Tom: Can I take a message or anything?
Rachel: Yeah, please, that would be great. If you could just get her to call me, erm, have you got a pen?
Tom: Yeah. Ready.
Rachel: My number’s 6311 87982.
Tom: OK.
Rachel: Do you want me to repeat it?
Tom: Yes, please.
Rachel: 6311.
Tom: 6311.
Rachel: 87982.
Tom: 87982. Got you! OK.
Rachel: Fantastic.
Tom: Well, lovely to speak to you. I’ve got to run off now. I’m actually in the middle of cooking dinner, so...
Rachel: Great. It was really nice to speak to you too.
Tom: All right, you too. I’ll pass that message on.
Rachel: Bye!
Tom: Bye, bye!
Useful language:
How to make an informal phone call!
This language will help you make an informal phone call. We’ll look at some more formal or business phone language in other videos.
Answering the phone
• Hi, this is Ben. Who's calling please?
• Hello? [informal]
• 348 3982. [some people repeat the number as a way of answering the call]
• Thank you for calling Quick Fix Kitchens. [business]
• Sam speaking. How may I help you? [business]
• Eddie’s Electric Store. How can I help you? [business]
Introducing yourself – the caller
• Hi, this is Petra.
• Hi. It’s Joanne.
• Hello, this is Sally Fields calling
• Hi, this is Bernadette from the accountant’s office.
• Hi, this is Laura speaking. Is John there?
• Good morning, my name is John and I am calling about the advert for a new sales person. [business]
Introductory chat / catching up
• So, what have you been up to?
• How are things with you?
• Where are you working now?
• Did you go to the school reunion the other day?
• How’s your brother? • What’s your sister doing these days?
Stating the purpose of the call
• So, I was just calling to see if you wanted to go to the party.
• So, I was wondering whether you had Pete’s phone number – I’ve been trying to get in touch with him.
• I got your number from John. I was hoping you might be able to help me with the software.
• I was just calling to find out what time the party is.
• Do you know where they’re meeting up this Friday?
• Do you know if Sam is having her party this Saturday?
Taking a message for someone
• Shall I tell her you called?
• Would you like to leave a message?
• Can I take a message?
• Who shall I say called?
• I'll let her know you called.
• I'll make sure she gets the message.
Leaving a message with someone
• Could you tell her that Jane called, please?
• No, that's OK. I'll call back later.
• Thanks. Could you ask her to call Sam when she gets in, please?
• Could you tell her to call me as soon as possible, please?
• Could I leave a message, please?
Confirming information
• OK. I’ve got that.
• Let me repeat that back to you just to make sure.
• I’ll just repeat that back to you.
• Would you like to repeat that back to me?
• Did you say 76 or 77?
• My number is 467-2896, extension 476.
• You said your name was Jane Smith, didn’t you?
• Was that Smythe with an “e” on the end?
Special requests
• Could you repeat that, please?
• Would you mind spelling that for me, please?
• Could you speak up a little please?
• Can you speak a little slower please? My English isn't very good.
• Can I call you back, please? The line’s really bad.
• Do you know when she’ll be back in the office?
• Do you have a pen handy?
• How do you spell that, please, please?
• Can I have your e-mail address, please?
• Can I have your website address, please?
• Could you send me an e-mail about that, please?
Finishing a call
• Anyway, I’d better get going. I’ve got to make lunch.
• So, I’ll see you next week at the party.
• Anyway, I don’t want to take up any more of your time.
• Right, so, I’d better get going. Thanks so much for helping me out.
• Well, I guess I’d better get going.
• OK, I’ll get on to that as soon as possible.
• OK, thanks for calling.
• OK, I have to let you go now.
Learn Hot English www.learnhotenglish.com
Check out our blog for more material: www.learnhotenglish.com/blog 3
• Sorry but I have another call coming through.
• I’d better run.
• I'm afraid that's my other line.
• OK, we’ll talk later.
• I look forward to seeing you next week.
Saying goodbye
• Bye.
• Bye for now.
• Goodbye.
• Speak to you soon.
• See you soon! • I’m looking forward to seeing you next week.
• Cheers [British English]
• Catch you later. [very informal]
• Later! [very informal]

Комментариев нет: