понедельник, 3 февраля 2020 г.

Set phrases with ‘by’ and ‘at’


Perfect English Grammar
Here are some set phrases with prepositions. This time it’s with ‘by’ and ‘at’.
• By accident: Sorry! It was a mistake. I did it by accident!

• By a long way: That was the best steak I’ve ever eaten by a long way.
• By trial and error: Let’s not proceed by trial and error – instead, let’s make a plan.
• By the skin of your teeth: She passed the exam by the skin of her teeth. She was exactly on the pass mark.
• By all means: Of course, I’ll help you! By all means!
• At present: I don’t have time for that at present.
• At any rate: Let’s go out. At any rate, we’ll get some exercise.
• At first sight: At first sight, the house is nothing special.
• At random: Choose a card at random.
• At ease: She puts everyone at ease because she’s so friendly.

Let's review! Choose 'by' or 'at'.
1. She loved the flat _____ first sight.
2. Oh no! Sorry, I knocked over the glass _____ accident.
3. He chose a cake _____ random.
4. Where are you working _____ present?
5. This is the best restaurant in the area _____ a long way. It's really excellent.
6. I wasn't _____ ease during that conversation.
7. A: Could I borrow your car? B: _____ all means!
8. She worked out how to build a website _____ trial and error.
9. He missed the car _____ the skin of his teeth.
10. You don't want any breakfast? Would you like some coffee, _____ any rate?


Answers

1. She loved the flat at first sight.
2. Oh no! Sorry, I knocked over the glass by accident.
3. He chose a cake at random.
4. Where are you working at present?
5. This is the best restaurant in the area by a long way. It's really excellent.
6. I wasn't at ease during that conversation.
7. A: Could I borrow your car? B: By all means!
8. She worked out how to build a website by trial and error.
9. He missed the car by the skin of his teeth.
10. You don't want any breakfast? Would you like some coffee, at any rate? 

Комментариев нет: