понедельник, 5 октября 2020 г.

Idiom "to quit cold turkey"

I did something crazy. Well, not completely crazy, but some people might think it is extreme.

Did I go sky diving? No. Did I swim with sharks? No.
I deleted Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram off of my phone.
I decided to quit cold turkey.
After reading the book "Digital Minimalism," I decided that my life would be better without having social media always available on my phone. (I highly recommend that book!)

Instead of using the apps once per day or once per week, I decided to quit cold turkey.

This strange phrase "to quit cold turkey" means that you stop a bad habit completely.

If you want to quit smoking and you decide to throw away your last cigarette, you are quitting cold turkey.

If you want to stop depending on caffeine, you can give all your coffee to your neighbor. You quit cold turkey.

It's not easy or fun, but sometimes it's necessary.

Because I need to use social media for my job as your English teacher, I can only use these websites on my desktop computer.

Deleting social media off of my phone is much better for my mental health and my ability to focus throughout the day.

Комментариев нет: