воскресенье, 1 ноября 2020 г.

See, Watch, and Look at

 See, Watch, and Look at – Confusing English Vocabulary Lesson

What’s the difference between see, watch, and look at? A lot of English learners ask me that question and it’s a great question. Each of these words describe what we can do with our eyes, but the way we use them is different. Let’s look at how we use see, watch, and look at in everyday English.

When you see something, it comes into your eyes with or without your effort. Seeing is the natural action of the eyes. When you see something it is not your intention…it just happens.

  • When I open my window, I can see my neighbor’s house.
  • In the countryside, you can see many stars in the night sky.

We also use see to when we talk about a public performance, like a movie in a theater or a sporting event. In this usage of see, it is your intention.

  • saw Casablanca last night at the theater on Main Street.
  • I’m looking forward to seeing the Yankee game. I haven’t been to the stadium in a long time.

When you watch something, it is your intention and you are concentrating. Generally, we watch things that are moving, or going on, or progressing over time.

  • It was raining, so I spend the whole day watching YouTube videos.
  • I like to watch my mom when she is cooking.

When you look at something, it is your intention and you are concentrating. You look at something that does not move. That’s the difference between watch and look at.

  • love to look at old photographs.
  • Many visitors at the museum stop to look at the Picasso exhibition.

Ok, that’s the basic idea of the difference between seewatch, and look at.

Комментариев нет: