пятница, 17 августа 2012 г.

In the Same Boat


In the Same Boat

This is another great phrase which is used a lot in everyday English.
If two or more people are “in the same boat” it means they are in a very similar situation.  They are experiencing the same things and feelings.

For example, imagine 2 friends both got dumped by their girlfriends.  They can both share that topic and emotions over a beer (or several beers)
The first friend could say:  ”I feel horrible because my girlfriend left me for another guy”  Then the other friend could say, “I know exactly how you feel.  I’m in the same boat“.
Another example is 3 people who are looking for work but none of them can find a job.  One person could say to the group; “Hey guys, we’re all in the same boat here.  Let’s not worry too much.  If we keep looking, I’m sure we’ll all find good jobs”
So now I think you’ve got the idea of what it means to “be in the same boat“.  Now go practice using it!  It will soon be a phrase you’ll be able to use well.