вторник, 12 марта 2013 г.

Adjective Clauses (Relative Clauses)


As you know, an adjective describes a noun and comes before the noun. For example:
  • I met a nice manNice is an adjective and man is a noun.
An adjective clause also describes a noun but comes after the noun. Basically, adjective clauses begin with a relative pronoun. The three most common of these is who, which, and that. The relative pronoun who is used to describe a person.
  • I met a nice man who spoke French.
  • I have a teacher who gives us a lot of homework.
  • My mom is a woman who takes good care of her family.
The relative pronoun which is used to describe a thing.
  • I found a nice table lamp which I put on my desk.
  • I have special knife which is used for cutting fish.
  • Jack has a car which he bought in Canada.
The relative pronoun that can be used to describe people or things:
  • I met a nice man that spoke French.
  • I have a teacher that gives us a lot of homework.
  • I found a nice table lamp that I put on my desk.
  • I have special knife that is used for cutting fish.