пятница, 19 июля 2013 г.

Using Go

The verb go has a variety of prepositions that follow it and each one has a different meaning. Today, I’m going to show you how to use this English grammar.
We use go + to + [place] when we show movement in the direction of a place. Before the place, you need to:
  • I am going to NYC today.
  • Jack goes to his office by bicycle.
  • Jenny went to Cancun last month and had a great time.
Keep in mind we don’t use to before: home, there, here, somewhere, uptown, and downtown.
  • I have to go uptown for a meeting. Not: I have to go to uptown for a meeting.
  • Jack went home after work today. Not: Jack went to home after work today.
We use go + to + place + to+ verb when we show the purpose of the movement:
  • Jenny went to Cancun to relax for a week.
  • I am going to NYC to meet one of my students.
  • Jack went to his office to pick up his keys.
In casual English conversation, it is also possible to use go + verb to show the purpose of the movement:
  • Let’s go get some pizza. I’m hungry.
  • I’m going to go have a cup of coffee after work.
  • I have to go look for a present for my sister’s birthday.
We also use go + for + [noun] when we show the purpose of the movement:
  • go for pizza all the time.
  • Let’s go for lunch tomorrow.
  • Ken goes for a haircut every other week.
We use go + in to mean enter:
  • When I go in there I always enjoy the atmosphere.
  • Let’s go in this shop. It looks interesting.
  • Jenny went in the station to ask about the train schedule.
Now, it’s your turn! Try using some of the patterns above in an original sentence or situation. 
For ex.  I am to meet one of my students who is in the US this week on business. We usually have a lesson online, but today she is coming to my office for class. After the lesson we will go for lunch. I suggested we go for pizza at Lombardi’s, my favorite pizza shop. I like to go there whenever I have students or other guests who come here from out of town. It is a great place and when I go in there I always enjoy the atmosphere, as well as the pizza.

Комментариев нет: