среда, 3 июля 2013 г.

Using Instead

Instead is generally used with the preposition of. We say instead of, which means one thing or person will replace another thing or person. After instead of we can use a noun or a gerund (Verb ING):
  • I think I will have tea instead of coffee this morning.
  • Instead of our weekly meeting, the boss is taking us out to lunch on Friday!
  • I’m tired of eating pizza every week. Instead of pizza, let’s go out for sushi.
  • I’m going to the conference instead of my boss. He’s too busy.
  • Instead of studying, let’s go see a movie. I need a break.
It’s possible to use instead as an adverb without of. Instead when used this way usually begins or ends a clause. The meaning is alternatively:
  • I don’t feel like coffee this morning. I think I will have tea instead.
  • The weekly meeting is cancelled this week. The boss is taking us out to lunch instead.
  • I’m tired of eating pizza every week. Let’s go out for sushi instead.
  • The boss is too busy to go to the conference, so I am going instead.
  • I need a break from studying. Let’s go see a movie instead.

Комментариев нет: