четверг, 3 ноября 2016 г.

Common idioms

Hot under the collar
When you are hot under the collar, you are angry or annoyed.
·         He behaved as if he was hot under the collar.

In hot water
When you are in hot water, you are in trouble.
·         His support for divisive politics landed him in hot water.
Get on like a house on fire
When two people get on like a house on fire, they enjoy a very good relationship.
·         Martha and her sister-in-law get on like a house on fire.
Put your house in order
To put your house in order is to make necessary reforms.
·         Before telling me how I should raise my children, she should really put her house in order.
Eat humble pie
To eat humble pie is to make a humble apology.
·         He kept boasting that he would beat me in the dual but in the end he had to eat humble pie.
Out of humor
When somebody is out of humor, they are in a bad mood.
·         I left him alone because he was out of humor.
Get the hump
To get the hump is to become annoyed.
·         I don’t enjoy the company of Martin. He gets the hump easily.
Hunt someone down
To hunt someone down is to chase and capture them.
·         He was hunted down by the police.