вторник, 10 октября 2017 г.

Prepositions & More

·  Incorrect: I recommend you to take a long vacation.
·  Correct: I recommend that you take a long vacation.

·  Incorrect: Come to here.
·   Correct: Come here.

·  Incorrect: The sun rises from the East.
·   Correct: The sun rises in the East.

·   Incorrect: The thief got in from the window.
·   Correct: The thief got in through the window.


·   Incorrect: Let's begin from page 10.
Correct: Let's begin at ( on ) page 10.

·         Incorrect: Are you home tomorrow.
·         Correct: Are you at home tomorrow.

·         Incorrect: There is a limit in my patience.
·         Correct: There is a limit to my patience.

·         Incorrect: Is your house insured for fire ?
·         Correct: Is your house insured against fire ? 

·         Incorrect: Keep the right.
·         Correct: Keep to the right.

·         Incorrect: What a dirty face ! Look at the mirror.
·         Correct: What a dirty face ! Look in the mirror.

·         Incorrect: This is the key of my room.
·         Correct: This is the key to my room.

·         Incorrect: It's a novel of three volumes.
·         Correct: It's a novel in three volumes.

·         Incorrect: He is a student of Harvard University.
·         Correct: He is a student at Harvard University. 

·         Incorrect: He had a child of his former wife.
·         Correct: He had a child by his former wife.

·         Incorrect: I saw it on the newspapers.
·          Correct: I read ( saw ) it in the newspapers.

·         Incorrect: Shall we sit in that sofa ?
·         Correct: Shall we sit on that sofa ?

·         Incorrect: I bought this book with 50 dollars.
·         Correct: I bought this book for 50 dollars.

·         Incorrect: My father is busy in his business.
·         Correct: My father is busy with his business.

·         Incorrect: You shouldn't worry of getting married.
·         Correct: You shouldn't worry about getting married.

Incorrect: It's seven twenty o'clock.
Correct: It's seven twenty.

Incorrect: Your coat is broken.
Correct: Your coat is torn.

Incorrect: Susan didn't make a fault anyway.
Correct: Susan didn't make a mistake anyway.

Incorrect: Would you mind posting this letter for me ? Yes, certainly.
Correct: Would you mind mailing this letter for me ? Of course not.or ( Not at all ) 

Incorrect: He becomes better.
Correct: He got better.

Incorrect: We'll have a hearing test tomorrow.
Correct: We'll have a listening test tomorow.

Incorrect: I recommend you to take a long vacation.
Correct: I recommend that you take a long vacation.

Incorrect: The last bus leaves at eleven o'clock. It's about eleven now, Hurry up!
Correct: The last bus leaves at eleven o'clock. It's nearly ( almost ) eleven now, Hurry up!

Incorrect: It was still bright outside.
Correct: It was still light outside.

Incorrect: Come to here.
Correct: Come here.

Incorrect: Common students in US don't wear a uniform.
Correct: The average students in US don't wear a uniform.

Incorrect: Who cooked this salad ?
Correct: Who made this salad ?

Incorrect: Different from me, she is proficient in English.
Correct: Unlike me, she is proficient in English.

Incorrect: Little children are difficult to understand that.
Correct: It is difficult for children to understand that.

Incorrect: Don't step on the grass.
 Correct: Keep off the grass.

Incorrect: I get my salary twice a month.
Correct: I get paid twice a month..

Incorrect: Would you like a drink ?
 Correct: Would you like something to drink ?

Incorrect: Let me examine your pulse.
 Correct: Let me feel your pulse.

Incorrect: I have no exercise talent.
Correct: I am not athletic.
Incorrect: I forget my hat in the house.
Correct: left my hat in the house.

Incorrect: Lend me some money, for instance 500 dollars, Lin
Correct: Lend me some money, say 500 dollars, Lin

Incorrect: I have a free time.
Correct: I am free.

Incorrect: The sun rises from the East.
Correct: The sun rises in the East.

Incorrect: The thief got in from the window.
Correct: The thief got in through the window.

Incorrect: Let's begin from page 10.
Correct: Let's begin at ( on ) page 10.

Incorrect: Did you attend college ?
Correct: Did you go to college ?

Incorrect: I wanted to go to Europe last summer, but it was too expensive so I gave up to go.
Correct: I wanted to go to Europe last summer, but it was too expensive so I gave up the idea.

Incorrect: I am going back my home.
Correct: I am going home.

Incorrect: His temperature went down.
Correct: His temperature came down.

Incorrect: I like green color.
 Correct: I like green.

Incorrect: Today's newspapers has his articles on Taiwan.
Correct: Today's newspapers carries his articles on Taiwan.

Incorrect: Give me money, if you have.
Correct: Give me money, if you have any.

Incorrect: You'll have a cold if you sleep with your window open.
Correct: You'll catch a cold if you sleep with your window open.

Incorrect: Somebody's knocking on the door. Go and see who he is.
Correct: Somebody's knocking on the door. Go and see who it is.

Incorrect: The head office is in Taipei.
Correct: The main office is in Taipei.

Incorrect: He cannot read and write.
Correct: He cannot read or write.

Incorrect: Where is here.
Correct: Where are we.

Incorrect: How heavy are you ?

Correct: How much do you weigh ?

Incorrect: Most Westerners have high noses.
Correct: Most Westerners have long noses.

Incorrect: Are you home tomorrow.
Correct: Are you at home tomorrow.

Incorrect: How does she look like ?
 Correct: What does she look like ?

Incorrect: This is the way how I did it.
Correct: This is how I did it. or This is the way I did it.

Incorrect: How do you think about Taiwan.
Correct: What do you think about Taiwan.

Incorrect: How can I do ?
Correct: What can I do ?

Incorrect: " How long have you been in Taiwan ?"" Six months "" How about Chinese food ?"
Correct: " How long have you been in Taiwan ? "" Six months "" Do you like Chinese food ?"

Incorrect: I visited her ill mother in the hospital.
Correct: I visited her sick mother in the hospital.

Incorrect: There is a limit in my patience.
Correct: There is a limit to my patience.

Incorrect: Please wait inside the white line.
Correct: Please wait behind the white line.

Incorrect: Is your house insured for fire ?
Correct: Is your house insured against fire ?

Incorrect: I introduce Mr. Smith to you !
Correct: May I introduce Mr. Smith to you !
Incorrect: She was first prize.
Correct: She took first prize.

Incorrect: Do you have any automatic camera ? Yes I have it .
Correct: Do you have any automatic camera ? Yes, I have one.

Incorrect: That was a traffic accident on my way here. It is why I was late.
Correct: That was a traffic accident on my way here. That is why I was late.

Incorrect: She is wearing blue jeans pants.
Correct: She is wearing blue jeans.

Incorrect: Keep the right.
Correct: Keep to the right.

Incorrect: Last night I didn't keep my diary.
Correct: Last night I didn't write anything in my diary.

Incorrect: The train was late about an hour.
Correct: The train was about an hour late.
Incorrect: I was ten minutes late for the English lesson.
Correct: I was ten minutes late for the English class.

Incorrect: How many Chinese letters do you know ?
Correct: How many Chinese characters do you know ?

Incorrect: He is fighting for his life.
Correct: He is fighting for his bread.

Incorrect: Why do you say like that.
Correct: Why do you say that.

Incorrect: I have no house to live.
Correct: I have no house to live in.

Incorrect: What a dirty face ! Look at the mirror.
Correct: What a dirty face ! Look in the mirror.

Incorrect: He lost consciousness for a long time.
Correct: He was unconscious for a long time.

Incorrect: He made a world record.
Correct: He set a world record.

Incorrect: Her marriage was happy.
Correct: Her married life was happy.

Incorrect: Maybe I think so.
Correct: I think so.

Incorrect: The club's members are 55.
Correct: There are 55 members in the club.

Incorrect: They didn't understand my mind.
Correct: They didn't understand what I was thinking.

Incorrect: This is where you mistake.
Correct: This is where you are mistaken.

Incorrect: I felt good mood.
Correct: I am in a good mood.

Incorrect: Please allow me more two hours.
Correct: Please allow me two more hours.

Incorrect: My watch doesn't move at all. I must get it checked up.
 Correct: My watch isn't running, I must get it checked up.

Incorrect: We moved house to Johor last month.
Correct: We moved to Johor last month.

Incorrect: He is our common friend.
 Correct: He is our mutual friend.

Incorrect: It was my first time to go abroad.
Correct: It was the first time I had gone abroad.

Incorrect: My this book cost me nearly 300 dollars.
Correct: This book of mine cost me nearly 300 dollars.

 Incorrect: My room is narrow.
Correct: My room is small.

Incorrect: I'll visit my native place for the first time in ten years this summer.
Correct: I'll visit my birth place for the first time in ten years this summer.

Incorrect: Is this seat empty.
 Correct: Is this seat taken.

Incorrect: Don't be noisy.
Correct: Be quiet.

Incorrect: It is not of only your business.
Correct: It is none of your business.

Incorrect: I will do anything I can do for you.
Correct: I will do anything I can for you.

Incorrect: This is the key of my room.
Correct: This is the key to my room.

Incorrect: I am going to take a two-year course of English.
Correct: I am going to take a two-year course in English.

Incorrect: He treated me very friendly.
Correct: He treated me in a friendly way.

Incorrect: This is the largest department store of the world.
Correct: This is the largest department store in the world.

Incorrect: It's a novel of three volumes.
Correct: It's a novel in three volumes.

Incorrect: He is a student of Harvard University.
Correct: He is a student at Harvard University.

Incorrect: Do you know the meaning of the word of bumpy ?
Correct: Do you know the meaning of the word bumpy ?

Incorrect: He had a child of his former wife.
Correct: He had a child by his former wife.

Incorrect: She married old.
Correct: She married late in life.

Incorrect: I saw it on the newspapers.
 Correct: I read ( saw ) it in the newspapers.

Incorrect: He is a liar, and you are one too.
Correct: He is a liar, and you are too.

Incorrect: Open page 20 of your books.
Correct: Open your books to page 20

Incorrect: Don't make the office out of order.
Correct: Don't leave the office in a mess.

Incorrect: I like to paint this door to black.
Correct: I'd like to paint this door black.

Incorrect: I have a Chinese pen friend.
Correct: I have a Chinese pen pal.

Incorrect: Give me a phone.
Correct: Give me a phone call.

Incorrect: Is there any place for me in the car.
Correct: Is there any room for me in the car.

Incorrect: Let's play together.
Correct: Why don't you come over ?

Incorrect: I was very pleasant today.
Correct: I had a very good time today.

Incorrect: He got 87 points in chemistry.
Correct: He got an 87 in chemistry.

Incorrect: Chang is a popular name in Taiwan.
Correct: Chang is a common name in Taiwan.

Incorrect: I'm a public servant.
Correct: I work for the government. 

Incorrect: She is pure.
Correct: She is naive.

Incorrect: I have a question to you.
Correct: I have a question to ask you.

Incorrect: This book deserves to read several times.
Correct: This book deserves to be read several times.

Incorrect: I like red tea.
Correct: I like black tea.

Incorrect: History repeats.
Correct: History repeats itself.

Incorrect: I make a rule of going to bed early and get up early.
Correct: I make a rule to keep early hours.

Incorrect: I went to the sea.
Correct: I went to the beach.

Incorrect: The door was shut when I returned home.
Correct: The door was closed when I returned home.

Incorrect: Shall we sit in that sofa ?