вторник, 22 мая 2012 г.

Dialog to Read


Anyway, what’s wrong with the car this time?
- Well, I was just driving over the East Hill bypass when I noticed that the red light was flashing on the temperature gauge, but as I had just had the radiator replaced, I thought it couldn’t be overheating and just assumed that the gauge must be giving a faulty reading.

And was it?
Unfortunately not. When I got to the traffic lights on Long Lane they were on red. That’s when I realised that steam was pouring out of the bonnet. I released the bonnet catch and got out of the car to take a look under the bonnet. As I opened it, a huge cloud of steam billowed out, almost scalding my face. I thought, “Blasted thing, why do you keep doing this to me?” and in my frustration I kicked the passenger door and the wing mirror fell off.
I’ve told you to get rid of it. If you were to do any more repairs on it, you’d just be throwing good money after bad.
.
.
Situation: Martha explains how even though the car has just had a new radiator, it still overheated at some traffic lights.
Style: Informal
.
Functions:
1. Returning to the main subject: Anyway, so what’s wrong with the car this time? (note: please copy the tone and emphasis carefully here.)
2. Giving an unavoidable negative answer: Unfortunately not. (note: please copy the tone and emphasis carefully here.)
3. Expressing frustration: I thought, “Blasted thing, why do you keep doing this to me?” (note: please copy the tone and emphasis carefully here.)
4. Giving an opinion: If you were to do any more repairs on it, you’d just be throwing good money after bad.
.
Notes:
1. bypass = road that goes past a town or city
2. the red light was flashing = the red light was going on and off (phrasal verb) intermittently (as a warning)
3. the temperature gauge = the instrument for indicating the temperature of the engine
4. I had just had the radiator replaced = Somebody had recently replaced the radiator for me
5. overheating = getting too hot
6. the gauge must be giving a faulty reading = the gauge can’t be working properly
7. the traffic lights = the traffic signals, with 3 lights (red, amber and green)
8. they were on red = the red light was on (phrasal verb)
9. steam was pouring out (phrasal verb) of = a large amount steam was coming out (phrasal verb) of
10. steam = water vapour
11. the bonnet = the cover to the engine compartment
12. a huge cloud of steam billowed out (phrasal verb - more descriptive) = a huge cloud of steam came out (phrasal verb)
13. scalding = burning (with a hot liquid)
14. Blasted thing (expressing frustration) = Stupid thing / Useless thing
15. In my frustration = because I was so frustrated
16. I kicked the passenger door = I hit the passenger door with my foot (note: we never actually say it like this!)
17. the wing mirror = the side mirror (on a car)
18. fell off (phrasal verb) = became detached / separated and fell to the ground
19. get rid of it (phrasal verb) = throw it away (phrasal verb)
20. throwing good money after bad (idiom) = wasting even more money on something that you have already wasted money on