понедельник, 5 ноября 2012 г.

Making Conversation

Introducing yourself
- I’m Sandra. How do you do?
- Hi, I’m Bob. It’s nice to meet you.
- Hi. I don’t think I’ve met you before. I’m Imogen.
- I don’t think we’ve been introduced. I’m Nigel.

Initiating the conversation
- So, do you know anyone here?
- What line of work are you in?
- Where are you from, then?

- Have you been here for long?
- Have you been here before?
- Did you have to travel far?
- Where do you work?
- So, how do you know George?

Keeping the conversation going –
questions
- So, where did you go to school?
- How long have you lived here?
- Are you from round here?
- What sort of music are you into?
- What made you want to get into law?
- Are you into any sport?
- What do you get up to at the weekends?
- Have you seen any good films recently?
- So, where did you grow up?
- Where did you get that shirt? It’s really nice.
- Have you done much travelling?

Keeping the conversation going –
statements
- I saw a great film last night.
- We went to this fantastic restaurant
   last week.
- I heard this really funny story just today.
- The weather’s been crazy, hasn’t it?

Ending the conversation
- Is that the time? I’ve really got to go.
- Thanks for the wonderful chat, but I really must be going.
- You must excuse me but I’ve got to be at the station in 10
   minutes.
- I’m sorry but I’ve got to go – I’ve got to get dinner ready.
- Have you got a business card you could give me?
- Do you know where the bathroom is?
- I’m starving. Do you know where the kitchen is?
- Have you met Tony? He works in advertising too.
- Hey, that’s Jo over there. Have you met him?
- Do you know whether there’s a bank near here?
- I’m terribly sorry but I’ve got to make this really important
  call.
- Well, it was lovely talking to you.
- We should meet up again sometime.

Saying goodbye
- See you again soon.
- See you.
- Bye!
- Speak soon!

IN THIS DIALOGUE, EMILY AND JOHN ARE AT A PARTY MAKING SMALL TALK.

Emily: Hi, how’re you doing?
John: Hi! I’m fine. Er, my name…
Emily: My name… my name’s Emily.
John: Hi, I’m John.
Emily: John, nice to meet you [nice to meet you]. Where are you from, John?
John: I’m from London [oh yeah?], actually. How about you? Where are you from?
Emily: I’m from She"eld.
John: Oh wow. And, er, what… what, do you do?
Emily: I, er, you know, just things.
John: Yeah? Just things.
Emily: Yeah, so, er, what do you do? How long have you been here for?
John: Er, I am a, er, BASE jumper. Professional BASE jumper.
Emily: Oh, what’s that?
John: Yeah, I just jump o# things. Er, buildings, ermountains, er…
Emily: Sounds really interesting.
John: It is interesting. It is interesting. You’re right, yeah.
Emily: Er, so, you’re having a good time?
John: Yeah, I mean, I don’t really know anyone but it’s, er…
Emily: Yeah, so it’s a really, really good party.
John: Yeah, yeah. [so…] Do you know anyone here?
Emily: Er, no. No one. I just kind of gate crashed.
John: Oh, OK.
Emily: Well, you know. So, what kind of music are you into?
John: Just all kinds of music. I like this music now. [yeah] It’s… general…yeah.
Emily: Yeah, you like more of a chilled…
John: Yeah, could I have some of this? [He points to a wine bottle.]
Emily: Er, I’ve actually just finished it.
John: You finished it?
Emily: Yeah.
John: OK. I’ll find some more then.
Emily: But, er, I’ve got to go because, er, I need to go and buy another bottle.
John: OK.
Emily: Right. It was really nice to meet you [nice to meet you to]. Maybe we’ll, er, meet up later.
John: Maybe. Bye.
Emily: See you later. Bye.