среда, 20 февраля 2013 г.

Advise, recommend, and suggest



Advise, recommend, and suggest are similar verbs and can be confusing. Let’s have a look at how these verbs are used. 
Introduction: Language in Context                                    I was looking for a new camera. A friend of mine recommended I shop at B&H Camera Shop in NYC.
 I went there yesterday. The salesman was very knowledgeable and he suggested a Sony camera. It seemed like a good one, but I didn’t buy it right away. I remembered my father once advised me to take my time buying something so expensive. He always advised checking several models and stores before buying.
Dialog
  • Jen: I would really like to buy a bike for riding in Central Park on the weekends.
  • Jack: Good idea. I suggest that you try my friend’s bike shop downtown.
  • Jen: Will he give me good advice?
  • Jack: Definitely. He’ll probably advise you to try a few different bikes before you choose one. If you tell him I sent you, I think he’ll give you a discount.
  • Jen: Great! Thanks for recommending him to me.
Grammar Point
Advise has two possible structures: (*remember: advise is the verb form, and advice is the noun! These two words are pronounced differently.)
1.    advise + [someone] + [to do something]
  • My father advised me to take my time.
  • advised Kim to take the TOFEL exam.
2.    advise + [doing something]
  • He advised checking several models and stores before buying.
  • Mom always advised washing your hands before eating.
Recommend and suggest have three possible structures:
1.    recommend / suggest (that) + [someone] + [do something]
  • A friend of mine recommended (that) I shop at B&H Camera in NYC.
  • suggested (that) Brad and Angie go to Hawaii for the vacation.
2.    recommend / suggest + [-ing word]
  • He suggested checking several models and stores before buying.
  • Mom always recommended washing your hands before eating.
3.    recommend / suggest + [something]  + [to someone]
  • He suggested B&H Camera to me.
  • recommend this website to all of my students