понедельник, 18 февраля 2013 г.

Gerunds Vs. Participles

Today we will have a look at the difference between gerunds and participles. Basically, gerunds function as nouns and participles function as adjectives. Read the paragraph below and see
if you can find the gerunds and participles. Then, check the examples given after the dialog.
Reading Practice: Grammar in Context
Exercising is an important part of staying healthy. While some people enjoy exercising in a gym, I prefer walking. It’s because I don’t like exercising in a hot building. I like to walk on the beach or in the park. I find enjoying nature while exercising makes the time pass quickly…and more enjoyably! When I was walking this morning in my neighborhood, I saw a barking dog. He wasn’t barking at me, thank goodness. Maybe he was barking because someone disturbed his nap. Like the old saying goes, let sleeping dogs lie.
Dialog: Grammar in Context
Jack: I love running in Central Park in the morning. This morning my running partner was sick, so I ran alone.
Jen: Exercising in the morning doesn’t work for me. I prefer to do it at night. I do a cycling class at the gym.
Jack: So does that mean you don’t want to go running with me tomorrow if my partner is still sick?
Jen: No, thanks.
Grammar Point
gerund is a verb+ing that works like a noun. Here are some examples:
  • Exercising is an important part of staying healthy.
  • My wife always complains about my snoring.
  • George got in trouble for napping in his office.
  • I like skiing.
participle is a verb+ing that works like an adjective. Here are some examples:
  • You shouldn’t disturb a sleeping dog.
  • There was a crying baby on my flight to New York.
  • My skiing holiday was cancelled because there was not enough snow.
  • The students played a drinking game, called Beer Pong.